How to re-create this recipe:
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/4 cup of toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2/3 cup grated Asiago cheese, plus extra for garnish
- decorative toothpicks
Putting it together:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and toast walnuts for about 8-10 minutes. Crank up heat to 425 degrees Fahrenheit after walnuts are toasted.
- While walnuts are in oven, use a vegetable peeler and slice 8 1/8-inch-thick strips from the zucchini (discard the first strip with the most skin on it).
- Arrange the slices on a parchment lined baking sheet tray.
- In a food processor blend the rest of the ingredients together
- Spread small spoonfuls of the Asiago pesto on each zucchini slice. Roll the strips up and secure with a toothpick.
- Sprinkle the extra Asiago cheese on top and bake for about 5 minutes (until cheese has melted)
Nourishment for your body:
Zucchini has a high content of omega 3 fatty acids, zinc, niacin, vitamins B1, B6, B12, and calcium. It has a high water content and is high in fiber which will aid in weight loss and make you feel satiated. Walnuts, like most nuts are great for your health ! Walnuts in particular contain vitamin E, folate, melatonin, omega 3 fats, and antioxidants.
Tips when cooking:
You can modify this recipe by substituting zucchini with yellow squash, basil for the spinach, and Swiss cheese instead of Asiago. Use leftover zucchini for cucumber, as it too can be eaten raw. Just chop it up and add it to a salad.