How to re-create this recipe:
- 1 cup of water
- 3 tablespoons Farina (fortified creamy hot wheat cereal)
- 5 toasted walnuts
- 2 basil leaves (for garnish)
- 1 egg (poached)
- 1 tablespoon of grated parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
Putting it together:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and toast walnuts for 8-10 minutes .
- While walnuts are toasting, take a small pot, fill it with 2 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of vinegar and Poach 1 egg (see tips below). Set egg aside. Clean the small pot afterwards to cook Farina.
- Add 1 cup of water to small pot, bring to a small boil, add 3 tablespoons of Farina and cook, stirring frequently to avoid clumps. Cook for about 3 minutes until cereal is thickened and desired consistency is reached. Add a tablespoon of butter and some salt to taste
- Once Farina is cooked, pour it into a bowl and add poached egg and chopped basil, parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and toasted walnuts for garnish.
Nourishment for your body :
Farina is a good source of Folic Acid, Calcium and Iron. Walnuts are richer in polyunsaturated fats then other nuts. These nuts contain omega 6 fatty acids and omega 3 fatty acids.
Tips when cooking: To poach an egg fill the saucepot with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down afterwards and have the water be a brisk simmer. Add the tablespoon of vinegar (this is done so that the shape of the egg comes out more compact). Create a vortex by spinning the water (lightly) with the back of a wooden spoon (or whatever spoon you have handy). You can drop the egg in (but crack it into a small cup first). Cook for about 4 minutes and take it out with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to absorb some of the water.