- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 – 15.5 oz cans of garbanzo beans
- 2- 15.25 oz cans of whole kernel sweet corn
- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 Tbsp’s of chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp’s of chopped fresh Cilantro
- 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh mint leaves
- Good quality Olive Oil (about 1/4th of a cup)
- 1 tsp of Dijon Mustard
- Several Tbsp’s of fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp of white vinegar
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
How to re-create this recipe:
- Rinse your garbanzo beans with cold water in a colander, draining as much water from them as possible. Add them to a medium sized bowl.
- Rinse your corn under cold water in a colander and drain out excess water. Add them to the bowl.
- Finely dice your onion and add to the bowl.
- Using a mandolin, shave your fennel bulb (thinly)into the bowl (after you removed the outermost fibrous layer and cut your fennel bulb in half).
- Chop all your herbs and add them to the bowl. To the bowl add your Olive Oil, Dijon Mustard, Lemon Juice, Vinegar, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Using large spoons, mix all ingredients together well until everything seems to be coated evenly.
Nourishment for your body: Chickpeas are an excellent source of protein! They are also packed with nutrients and vitamins. They are inexpensive and can be added to so many different dishes ; from soups to stews and even desserts. Aquafaba is the liquid in cans of chickpeas. You can use it instead of egg whites to whip it up and make it frothy (like in a meringue). Roasted chickpeas are a delicious snack and you can use whatever spice mix you prefer to make them crunchy and delicious.
Tips when cooking: This salad is simple and easy to make. The flavors are bright and refreshing. You can replace your yellow onion for shallots if you prefer a more mild onion flavor. This salad is a great side dish for any meal . It holds up well in the fridge and doesn’t get mushy as most salads would if coated in a dressing and sitting in the fridge overnight. In fact, it holds up well for a few days !