How to re-create this recipe:
- 6 Egg Yolks and 6 Egg Whites
- 90 ml Whole Milk
- 60 ml Vegetable Oil
- 100 g Cake Flour
- 15 g Matcha Green Tea Powder
- 1/2 tsp of fine table salt
- 100 g Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cream Of Tarter
For Icing the cake and Decoration:
- Matcha Green Tea Powder (Just enough for a light dusting)
- 9 Rambutans (cleaned and taken out of their shells)
- 2 Cups of Water
- 1 Cup of Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp of Orange Blossom Water
- 1 cup (equivalent to 2 sticks) of unsalted room temperature Butter
- 1 cup of Confectioner Sugar
- 2 Tbsp’s of Whole Milk
- Edible Flowers (optional…for an added elegant garnish)
Putting it together:
- The first step you want to do is make your Orange Blossom simple syrup by combining 2 cups of water with 1 cup of granulated sugar in a small sauce pan. Bring that up to low/medium heat, add 2 Tbsp’s of Orange Blossom Water. Give that a good stir and cook just until all the sugar dissolves.
- When the liquid is lukewarm add your Rambutans and allow them to soak in the simple syrup for at least 2 hours.
- Pre-heat your oven to 311 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 8×8 inch cake pan or 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl add your egg yolks, milk and oil and using a hand held electric mixer or balloon whisk, whisk until well combined.
- To that bowl, sift in the cake flour and Matcha Green tea Powder and mix until well combined.
- In a separate large bowl (preferably an electric mixer), pour in the egg whites and beat on medium speed until foamy. Add in your cream of tarter and beat for a few seconds.
- Gradually add in your sugar and continue to beat until it forms a meringue with stiff peaks.
- In three large portions, fold in your egg white meringue into the bowl with the beaten egg yolks and Matcha mix. Pour that into your cake pan and place your cake pan in a deep/large baking tray. Add hot water into that large baking tray to create a water bath around the cake pan (about halfway up the cake)
- Bake for about 1 hour and 25 minutes. Insert a toothpick or cake tester after 1 hour and 20 minutes to see if it is cooked.
- Remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack for it to cool completely.
For the Orange Blossom Buttercream Icing:
- Cream the room temperature butter using a hand held electric mixer or a paddle attachment on a standing mixer until it is smooth and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the confectioners sugar until fully incorporated. Add 1 Tbsp of your cooled Orange Blossom simple syrup and two Tbsp’s of Milk and continue to beat for another 3-4 minutes.
- When your cake is completely cooled, Ice the cake with all the Buttercream frosting using an offset spatula.
- Remove the Rambutans from the syrup and pat them dry with paper towels. Insert them evenly spaced apart on your cake. Give your cake a nice dusting of Matcha Green Tea powder and enjoy!
Nourishment for your body: Matcha Green tea powder is something that has always excited me. I consider it a superfood because it is packed with antioxidants, boosts metabolism , detoxifies your body, calms the mind, is rich in Chlorophyll and vitamins and enhances mood while aiding in concentration. Matcha powder will give you a BIG BOOST of energy comparative to a cup of coffee. 1 8 oz glass of Matcha Green tea contains 70 mg of caffeine.
Tips when cooking: Rambutans are an exotic fruit that come from Southeast Asia. If you cannot find them you can certainly substitute them with Lychees which are similar in flavor. If you cannot find either of them, you can decorate your cake with Strawberries. You do not have to discard the leftover simple syrup you made. It can hold up well in the fridge for several weeks. I like to use this simple syrup to flavor my tea. You can also use it to make mocktails or cocktails. Orange blossom water is made by distilling fresh bitter orange blossoms for their essential oils. It is incredibly aromatic with a strong perfume like scent and used in Middle Eastern cooking. It is a great addition to your pantry. Many years ago I made simple shortbread cookies with vanilla icing. Adding orange blossom water to your cookie batter will take the cookies to another level!