How to re-create this recipe:
- 4 cups of reserved cooking liquid (from boiling lobster tails for 6 minutes)
- 1 large onion (quartered)
- 2 carrots (each cut in half)
- 2 celery stalks (each cut in half)
- 4 Kombu sheets (do not rinse them)
- shells of 4 lobster tails
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered (optional) including fronds
- 2 bay leaves
Putting it together:
- In a medium stock pot combine 4 cups of lobster tail cooking liquid, lobster shells, onion, carrots, celery stalks, thyme, fennel, bay leaves, and kombu sheets.
- Bring up to a boil and let the ingredients cook for 1.5 hour.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
Nourishment for your body: Lobster is a great source of protein, zinc, omega 3 fatty acids, and contains multiple vitamins and minerals. However, it would be wise to eat it sparingly due to higher amounts of sodium and cholesterol compared to other crustaceans.
Tips when cooking: This stock came out great! The lobster flavor was pretty concentrated with a briny taste. Lobster stock can be used to make soups such as bisques and chowders and a variety of sauces. It can also be used to make risotto, paella, Cioppino, and a stew. It also freezes well (upwards of 6 months).