How to re-create this recipe:
- 4 eggs
- 10 oz Haricot Verts (or thin green beans)
- 1 pound baby creamer potatoes (red skinned)
- 6 Anchovies
- 2- 6 oz Sashimi grade Tuna steaks
- 1 shallot (shaved thinly on a mandoline)
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 a cup of Nicoise olives
- 1 head of Boston Lettuce (or romaine lettuce)
For the Honey Mustard Dressing:
Whisk the following ingredients together in a small bowl…
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 small minced shallot
- 1 Tbsp stone ground mustard (or Dijon mustard)
- 1 Tsp of honey
- 1 Tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup of good quality Olive Oil
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
Putting it together:
- Bring a Medium stockpot filled with water to a roaring boil and boil the potatoes for about 8 minutes (until they are fork tender). Drain, cool them off and cut them in half (set aside).
- Refill stockpot with water and bring to a roaring boil and add some salt. Boil the green beans for about 2-4 minutes. Drain and plunge green beans into a bowl of ice water for about two minutes. Drain again and set them aside.
- In a small stockpot filled halfway with water, bring water to a roaring boil and boil eggs for no more then 10 minutes. When they are done drain them, run cold water over them and then peel them. Once cooled, cut them lengthwise in half and set aside.
- While you are boiling the above ingredients prep the rest of the vegetables; cut cherry tomatoes in half (set aside), shave shallot, cut lettuce into small pieces (about 1 inch).
- Heat a grill pan to medium/high heat, season the Tuna steaks with salt and black pepper, brush them with olive oil and sear the Tuna steaks on each side about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes (the inside should be raw). Once slightly cooled, slice the tuna steaks and set aside.
- Place all the ingredients (except the Tuna slices, eggs, and anchovies) in a large bowl and toss them with the Honey Mustard dressing. On a large platter or individual plates, divide the salad up and add the Tuna Slices, eggs and anchovies on top.
Nourishment for your body: Although this salad is more time consuming to make then other salads, it is very filling and packed with a great balance of nutrients, particularly protein. It’s a wonderful alternative to eating meat. Tuna is an excellent protein; low in calories and fat and rich in Omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids improve immunity, reduces inflammation in the body, decreases cholesterol levels and lowers blood pressure. Anchovies are high in Vitamin A, Calcium and potassium. Green beans are high in fiber, potassium, folic acid and calcium. Tomatoes contain the antioxidant lycopene which has health benefits like reducing the risk of heart disease and cancer.
Tips when cooking: It helps to get 2 medium stock pots and 1 small stockpot out and having your water ready and boiling. This salad and salad dressing can be made ahead of time and then when your ready to eat you can just simply combine all the ingredients together and add the dressing to it.