How to re-create this recipe:
- 4 Eggs
- 1 container of Kumato Tomatoes
- 1 pint of mixed Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of Parsley
- 1/4 cup of Pine Nuts
- 1 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
- 1 Tsp of Cumin Seeds
- 1/8 of a Tsp of Red Pepper flakes
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Spelt Tortilla Wraps (optional)
- Salt to taste
Putting it together:
- Pre-heat a skillet pan on medium heat and add your Pine Nuts, Fennel Seeds and Cumin Seeds. Stir this mixture frequently until they are slightly browned and a rich fragrance is given off. Remove from heat.
- Pre-heat a deep saute pan on medium heat. Cut your garlic cloves into thin slices and chop up all your parsley.
- Rinse all your tomatoes off and cut the Kumato’s into medium sized chunks. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and add all these tomatoes to the pan with the garlic. Let the tomatoes cook down until their skins look wilted and the tomatoes are all softened (about 10 minutes or so).
- Add all your toasted seeds, pine nuts, parsley and red pepper flakes and continue to cook the tomatoes for another 5 minutes with the lid on.
- The last step is to crack 4 eggs directly into this mixture, evenly spaced apart. Make a little pocket for each of them in the tomatoes before cracking them in. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook until they appear poached and the egg whites are fully cooked through (about 5 minutes).
- You can pair this dish with toasted Tortilla wraps, bread or crackers. Its great for dipping in the sauce!
Nourishment for your body: Eggs are a great source of inexpensive protein. They contain vitamins B2, B6, and B12 and D and 9 essential amino acids. They are low in calories and can help with portion control, as they may help you feel full longer.
Tips when cooking: Shakshuka is a popular dish in Middle Eastern countries. The word Shakshuka literally means “mixture.”The eggs are always poached in a tomato sauce. Some recipes may add cheese, onions, peppers and other spices. The spice combinations that can be added are endless. You can also make this dish for dinner instead of breakfast.