How to re-create this recipe:
- 2 frozen Rudi’s Tortillas
- 2 Tsp of coconut oil
- 2 small handfuls of baby spinach leaves (about 1 oz total)
- 4 tablespoons of sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
Putting it together:
- Using a butter knife insert knife between Tortillas and wiggle it gently so Tortillas come apart (this brand of Tortillas comes frozen). Preheat a toaster oven or regular oven on broil (500 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Place frozen Tortilla on rack and broil for just 4 minutes ( you will see the dough puff up).
- Open the toaster oven and pull rack out halfway. While oven is still on, carefully spread 1 tsp coconut oil all over tortilla, sprinkle pinch of salt and pinch of black pepper all over it, 1 small handful of baby spinach leaves, and top with 2 tablespoons of grated cheddar cheese.
- Broil for another 2 minutes until cheese is all melted and Tortilla is slightly browned along edges.
- Roll up Tortillas and enjoy!
Nourishment for your body:
These Tortillas are made with Spelt flour so as opposed to traditional wheat tortillas, they contain more nutrients such as protein and minerals. Spelt is also an ancient grain and a distant cousin to wheat. Spelt has a higher water solubility so it is easier to digest for those with a wheat intolerance. Soluble fiber is known to reduce blood cholesterol and regulates blood sugar levels.
Spinach is one of the healthiest vegetables you can eat! It is low in calories, fat free and loaded with nutrients. Some nutrients Spinach contains include vitamins K, C, A, B1, B2, B6, folate, magnesium, iron, and calcium.
Coconut Oil is an oil that should be used sparingly due to higher saturated fat levels then other oils and butter however it is known to increase the healthy cholesterol in your body known as HDL. It also converts “bad” cholesterol LDL into the good cholesterol. Coconut oil has other great uses. You can use it as a moisturizer for the skin (known to treat psoriasis, dermatitis and eczema), turn it into a body scrub , or for your hair to make it shiny and strengthen the hair follicles.
Tips when cooking:
Each wrap takes about 6 minutes to make. It is a perfect snack or meal if you are in a hurry or may not be in the mood to cook an elaborate meal. Kids would love them because they taste very much like pizza. These tortillas are also a great item to use as a base for any leftover items you may have in your fridge such as other melting cheeses, mushrooms, other leafy greens, etc.