How to re-create this recipe:
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 2 Tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tsp Za’atar spice seasoning
- 4 Tbsp’s Olive Oil
Putting it together:
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line 1 sheet tray with parchment paper.
- Rinse the outside of the Spaghetti Squash and dry it with a paper towel. Cut the squash in half (lengthwise)and with a large spoon (or grapefruit spoon) remove all the seeds and the strands around them.
- Mince 3 garlic cloves (or buy minced garlic). Drizzle the cleaned squash with 4 Tbsp’s of Olive oil (2 Tbsp on each side) , 1 Tsp of minced garlic on each side and 1 Tsp of Za’atar spice seasoning on each side.
- Place coated side face down and roast in oven for 45 minutes.
- When cooked and slightly cooled, use a fork to scrape out the strings of squash. It should be a Spaghetti like consistency.
Nourishment for your body: Spaghetti Squash has multiple health benefits. It contains manganese which is a mineral that strengthens the bones , tissues and sex hormones. It helps regulate blood sugar, absorption of calcium and helps the functioning of the nervous system do its job. It contains fiber which is helpful to make you feel full longer and may aid in weight loss. 1 cup of Spaghetti Squash is just 42 calories. Its a great alternative to take a break from traditional pasta that is higher in carbohydrates and calories . It also contains Omega 3’s, folate, potassium and B Vitamins.
Tips when cooking: This squash is available year round. Because it has a chewy texture and looks like spaghetti you can use it to replace a traditional Spaghetti and Meatball dinner. Za’atar spice seasoning is a middle eastern spice mix. It usually contains Oregano, Marjoram, savory, sumac, toasted sesame seeds, and salt. This is a nice spice mix to have handy in your cabinets. It’s fragrant, tangy and has a nutty taste. You can use it with Olive Oil to create a nice dip and because its tangy and nutty, its excellent to sprinkle on fish before you cook it. I have a recipe on my blog for Mediterranean spiced Lamb Meatballs. So, this recipe would pair well with that Meatball recipe for a healthy, yet delicious dinner!