How to re-create this recipe:
- 1 Package of Chicory flavored Coffee
- 3 cups of brewed Chicory Coffee
- 1/2 a cup of Cane Sugar (Regular White Sugar works too)
- 1/2 a cup of Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 2 Teaspoons of Godiva Liquor
- 1 container of Nutella
- Cinnamon for garnish
Putting it together:
- Using a drip coffee maker, add 2 Tablespoons of ground Chicory Coffee to brew 3 cups of Coffee.
- Once that is brewed, combine the Coffee with the Vanilla Extract, Godiva Liquor and 1/2 a cup of Cane Sugar. Whisk together until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13-inch pan and place in freezer for 1 hour. After an hour take a dinner fork and scrape the surface of the mixture to break up the crystals. Place the pan back in the freezer and scrape the mixture again after about 2 hours. The Granita should be ready after about 4 hours.
- Using a handheld immersion blender with a whisk attachment, pour 1/2 a cup of Heavy Whipping cream in a bowl and whisk for a few minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the Granita into serving bowls of your choice and top each with a dollop of whipped cream. Add a dollop of Nutella and garnish with Cinnamon.
Nourishment for your body:
Chicory root comes from the Dandelion Family. It is made by taking the raw Chicory Root mincing, roasting and brewing it into Coffee. Some people drink Chicory as a way to get the same rich, deep roasted flavor without the caffeine and acidity of traditional coffee. Chicory root is added to traditional coffee to enhance the flavor. Inulin found in Chicory Root supports the intestinal flora and improves digestion.
Tips when cooking: This is a great recipe to make for dessert ahead of time. You can easily modify it with less sugar if you choose and garnish with some fruit or a wafer. This is also a great dessert for the whole family. Although this dessert tastes like a frozen cappuccino slushy, being that it contains no caffeine and only a trace amount of liquor per serving, kids would love it too! Most recipes for making home made whipped cream call for sugar. But for this recipe there is no need to add sugar to the whipped cream because there is enough sweetness in the brewed Coffee and Nutella. If you don’t have a drip coffee maker, you can also use the same water to grounds ratio if you have a French Press.