How to re-create this recipe:
- 1 Small Fennel Bulb
- 1 Persian Cucumber
- 2 Teaspoons of fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons of good quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- 1 Teaspoon of Furikake Seasoning (Green Nori Seaweed)
Putting it together:
- After removing the outermost Fibrous layer of your Fennel Bulb, using a Mandoline shave the entire fennel thinly over a cutting board. Afterwards, place directly in a nice serving bowl.
- After washing your Persian Cucumber and slicing off both sides, slice it on the Mandoline as well (setting the Mandoline to a slightly thicker setting). Add them to your bowl.
- Drizzle your Lemon Juice, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Salt and Black pepper and Furikake seasoning on top. Toss everything well with a set of tongs. Enjoy!
Nourishment for your body: Fennel contains fiber, potassium, folate, vitamin C, vitamin B-6, and phytonutrients. Coupled with its lack of cholesterol, it supports heart health. As fiber helps lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood, it decreases the risk of heart disease. Cucumbers are low in calories and high in water content and soluble fiber. They are an ideal vegetable to eat because they help with hydration and aid in weight loss. Cucumbers also contain antioxidants, including flavonoids and tannins which helps to prevent the accumulation of harmful free radicals and may reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Nori Flakes (found in the Furikake seasoning and is a type of seaweed) contains iodine which our bodies depend on for healthy Thyroid Functioning. Our Thyroid gland regulates growth, energy production and repairs damaged cells in your body. Without healthy amounts of iodine, your body may experience symptoms such as weight changes, fatigue and swelling in the neck. Eating seaweed helps to absorb concentrated amounts of iodine.
Tips When Cooking: This salad tastes very refreshing and the flavors are reminiscent of something you would order as an appetizer in a Japanese Restaurant. To maximize the nutrient content of eating cucumbers DO NOT peel them! If you peel them you won’t get the benefits of the fiber and important vitamins and minerals. Furikake seasoning is a great item to have in your pantry. It is a Japanese table condiment that is made with Nori Seaweed and toasted white and black sesame seeds. It’s perfect to sprinkle on meat, fish, rice and noodle dishes.