How to re-create this recipe:
- 1 cup Red Quinoa
- 2 cups of water
- 1 English cucumber
- 3 Bell Peppers (1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange)
- 1 Red onion
- 1- 8 oz can of Chick Peas
For the Cumin Scented dressing:
In a bowl mix the following ingredients together:
- 1 Tsp of Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp of Lemon Juice
- 2 Tsp of ground Cumin
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Whisk in 3/4 cup of good quality Olive Oil
Putting it together:
- Make the dressing and put it aside.
- Before you prepare your veggies bring 2 cups of water in a small or medium stock pot to a boil.
- While waiting for your water to boil, rinse the canned Chick Peas in a colander under cold running water and set aside in small bowl.
- Rinse the Bell peppers and dice them into small pieces (making sure to remove the inside seeds). Dice the red onion as well into small pieces and set aside.
- Peel the Cucumber and dice the cucumber into small pieces and set aside.
- Once water is boiled and after you have rinsed your Quinoa, reduce heat to a simmer and cook Quinoa until all the water is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- Strain Quinoa and cool it down in the fridge. Once it is cooled combine it with the red onion, cucumber, peppers and chick peas and toss all these ingredients together with the salad dressing.
Nourishment for your body: Quinoa is considered an “ancient grain.” There is no difference in nutritional content between White, Red and Black Quinoa. There are slight variations in taste and cooking times between them. Quinoa is considered a super food. It is a wonderful source of protein and contains 20 Amino Acids our bodies need. It is low in sodium and rich in fiber.
Tips when cooking: To cool Quinoa down faster, put your Quinoa on a flat sheet tray or baking tray and spread it out to an even layer before you put it in the fridge. Some salads taste better the longer the ingredients marinade with the dressing. This is exactly that type of salad ! It is fantastic as a side dish as well.