How to re-create this recipe:
- 1 head of Cauliflower
- 10 oz of Red Cabbage
- 4 Curly Kale Leaves
- 6 Strips of Bacon (preferably “Applegate Uncured Sunday Bacon”)
For the Garlic Scape dressing:
- 2 Garlic Scapes
- 1 cup of good quality Olive Oil
- 1 cup of Parsley
- 1 tsp of Thyme
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp of White Wine Vinegar
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Putting it together:
- With a sharp knife remove the outer green leaves of a head of Cauliflower. Rinse the Cauliflower, pat dry with a paper towel and cut out medium sized florets. Put the florets in a food processor and blend until the florets appear like “rice.” Set aside.
- Take 6 strips of Bacon and cut into small thin pieces or cubes (Lardons). Heat a large Saute Pan on medium high heat and Saute the Bacon Lardons until they are crispy.
- While the Bacon Lardons are cooking, prep the other vegetables.
- Rinse the Curly Kale and cut them into thin strips. Set aside. Cut the Red Cabbage into thin strips and set aside.
- When Bacon is finished cooking, take them out with a slotted spoon and place them on some paper towels to absorb some of the fat. DO NOT remove the leftover fat from the Saute Pan.
To make the dressing:
- Rinse out the food processor and set it up.
- Cut the Garlic Scapes into small pieces and place in food processor. Add the juice of one Lemon, the Parsley, Thyme, White Wine Vinegar and while machine is turned on, pour in 1 cup of Olive Oil and add Salt and Black Pepper to taste. Set aside.
To Finish the Dish:
- Place the Saute pan you cooked Bacon in on Medium to high heat and Saute the Red Cabbage and Kale for about 5 minutes until they look wilted. Add a little salt and Black Pepper while they cook.
- Add the Cauliflower until it is just heated through. About 2 minutes. There is no need to cook the Cauliflower fully. The crunchier it is the better!
- With a set of tongs place the sauteed vegetables in a bowl, add about a tablespoon of the dressing, and sprinkle the crispy Bacon on top.
Nourishment for your body: Cauliflower is considered a super food. It is rich in Anti-oxidants and considered an anti-inflammatory vegetable. Cauliflower is packed with alot of Vitamin C, Vitamin K , promotes healthy digestion among many other benefits. Red Cabbage provides similar benefits; it aids in weight loss , reduces risk of cancer, promotes healthy looking skin and protects against cognitive disorders.
Tips when cooking: It is a good idea to buy products that are in season. Your food will taste great because the food is being harvested at the peak of season. The ingredients will not have lost their flavor because they needed to be shipped from far away. You also support your local farmers when eating in the season. Joining a CSA (community supported agriculture) with a local farm is a good idea. Dependng on the CSA, you may be able to pick your own fruits, vegetables and herbs which makes for a nice morning or afternoon to get out there and be one with nature. Garlic Scapes are in season right now and are a wonderful ingredient. You can use them in a sauteed dish or in a dressing. You can make your own Pesto and use them in soups as well.